Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chapter Fourteen

They weren't seated at the table for a minute when someone caught Delly's eye. Kelleigh wasn't surprised at all; someone was always catching Delly's eye.



Her given name, Delilah, was perfect for her. She did have an appetite for strong men. It became shortened to Delly when they were young, giving even more frivolity to her name and persona for that matter.



Delly's departure in pursuit of man gave Sid an opportunity to approach Kelleigh. She watched him walk toward the table with dread. Her positive interactions with Sid had been few and far between. It also occurred to her that her trepidation of going out to dinner the evening after Steve's death was probably not a good idea.



"Funny seeing you here, Kelleigh. Shouldn't you be home?" Sid began with no preamble or pretense of pleasantness.



"I could say the same to you, Sid" was all the Kelleigh could reply. She looked for Delly but couldn't see her.



"Yeah, well, some of Steve's friends wanted to buy me a beer. What's your excuse?"



"I'm just getting dinner Sid, not that it's any of your concern. What do you want?"


"I'll be over tomorrow to pick up Steve's things. We need a change of clothes for him for the funeral. I figured while I was there, I would pick up his racecar and tools too."



Kelleigh was stunned. "What do you mean that you'll pick up the racecar and tools?"



"Well, they were Steve's. It's not like you're going to use them."



She sat back in the seat and measured her words. The audacity of Steve's family never failed to shock her. "Well, Sid, I hate to break the news but the racecar is mine, the title is in my name. As for the tools, those are mine as well. As the widow, I get to keep his stuff. Not you. I will get you his clothes and personal things but nothing more than that."



"Well, we'll just see about that." Sid looked like he was about to burst into a screaming rage when Delly sidled up to the booth. Kelleigh didn't think she'd ever been more relieved to see her friend.



"Hello, Sid. Sorry to hear about Steve. Tell your mama I sent my condolences, will you?" Delly batted her eyes at Sid, rendering him mute. "Whatcha talking about anyway?" She sat down in the booth and looked coyly between the two of them.



Kelleigh sat up a little straighter now, feeling braver now that Delly had returned.

"Sid needs a change of clothes for Steve's funeral and he would like Steve's things."



"Oh, well that won't be any trouble at all, will it Kelleigh? I tell you what, Sid, why don't you stop by my house tomorrow? I'll have it all ready for you. That way you don't have to bother Kelleigh." Again, she batted her eyelashes at Sid, who was appearing flustered. Delly had that effect on men and she knew it. Many times Kelleigh cursed that about her but tonight was grateful. Delly had deflated a tense situation with her flirting. She continued, "You know where I live don't you? Why don't I give you my number anyway? You'll be there by 10:00, okay? It will be all ready for you. Thanks so much for your help, Sid, really." She beamed a high wattage smile at him and patted him on the arm.



Sid looked momentarily confused, Kelleigh was certain that he had no idea what happened to him. Finally, he mumbled, "Fine, 10:00, I'll be there Delly. Thanks."

He nodded at Kelleigh; "We'll talk later, after the funeral." Kelleigh, trying to emulate Delly's casualness, just smiled "We'll see, Sid." He glared at her in response and walked away.



Kelleigh's shoulders slumped at Sid's departure. "Thanks Delly, for that. There was going to be a scene if you hadn't come back. Where did you go anyway?"



Delly smiled and produced a business card out of her pocket. "There was this most cute guy at the bar. I caught his eye when we came in. We're going out tomorrow."

Kelleigh just rolled her eyes. "Delly, let's just get a to-go order. I don’t trust Sid to keep his cool, no matter how cute you are."



"What did he say?"


"He told me he was coming to get Steve's racecar and his tools. I told him no, they were mine. He was about to blow a gasket when you came up."

No comments:

Post a Comment