Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chapter Nineteen

Kelleigh continued to the bank, feeling more excited as she came closer. She questioned herself, much like questioning her lack of grief. One would think that she would be bitter over these hidden dollars. Instead, she saw it as an unexpected gift. Sad as it was, her life had been nothing but improved with Steve's death.


Upon entering the bank, she inquired at the reception as to whom to speak with about Steve's account. She was given the manager's name and asked to wait. As she sat, she noticed the receptionist point her out to a teller. Hmm, she thought, trying not to feel scrutinized, I wonder what that's all about. Deciding to shrug it off, she picked up a magazine and flipped through the pages.


A few minutes later, a small tight-lipped and buttoned-up woman appeared in front of her. She looked to be only in her forties when you looked closely but at first glance appeared much older.


"Hello, Mrs. Lucky. I am Mrs. Applewhite, the bank manager. I understand that there is an issue with an account here. I'll be happy to discuss it with you, just follow me." She turned on her heel without waiting for an answer.



Kelleigh frowned, tossed the magazine back onto the table, and followed her. She wasn't sure what to make of Mrs. Applewhite. She also had a feeling of trepidation that her reason for being there was described as an "issue with an account."



They entered an office, away from the tellers. Kelleigh wasn't certain but she felt as if every teller watched her as she followed the manager. Something was up, she was sure of it.



"Please have a seat and explain to me what brings you here. I have a message from customer service but would like to hear from you." She smiled with the tight-lipped mouth again. The smile did nothing to soothe Kelleigh's now rattled nerves.


"On Friday night, my husband Steve was killed in car accident. While going through his personal affects, I discovered that he has an account here. I am assuming that it was established before we were married. I would like to close that account." She smiled, trying not to show her anxiety.


"Yes, I understand. That is similar to the message I received. First, let me start with my condolences on the loss of your husband. It must have been a great shock."


Kelleigh nearly smiled at her in response but bit it back just in time. She would have to work on being the widow, grieving or not. "Thank you ma'am. I appreciate your thoughts" was the best that she could muster. She really wanted to lean in confidentially and tell her how this was hidden money and how she would found cash and a picture of a woman but somehow, she knew Mrs. Applewhite would not be a sympathetic ear.


"Now, let me double-check the account. You have the account number?"


Kelleigh nodded and gave her the deposit receipt. "Yes, here it is. It seems like a recent deposit. Here, also, are the copies of our marriage certificate and his death certificate. Also, here is my driver's license so you can verify that I am indeed his wife."


Mrs. Applewhite entered the account number into the computer then frowned into the screen. Like the customer service person, she then asked social security numbers, mother's maiden names, etc. Kelleigh rattled these off without a thought. Mrs. Applewhite continued to frown into the screen, without comment.


"Excuse me, would you? I need to pull his file." She rose and left the office without a sound.


I am starting to feel as if I'm in a science fiction movie or a soap opera, either of them. Something is telling me this isn't going to be as easy as the person made it sound. Kelleigh tried to refrain from mumbling aloud. Leave it to Steve to leave complications behind for Kelleigh to clean up. It was the story of their life together.


A few minutes passed and Kelleigh was becoming increasingly uneasy. Something was definitely wrong. Finally, as Kelleigh was considering leaving and forgetting about the money, Mrs. Applewhite returned with a file in hand.


"Okay, Mrs. Lucky. I've looked into the account thoroughly. It is indeed owned by your husband, Steve. However, you are not listed anywhere on the account. As you may or may not know, account-holders are requested to list a next of kin on their applications. You, it seems, are not listed. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue as you are indeed his spouse. However, he has listed another name."


Kelleigh wanted to groan. "Can you tell me which name? Is it Sid Lucky?" she was trying to quickly think of whom else Steve would have possible listed. "Or his mother, Helen Lucky?"


"No, Mrs. Lucky. It is neither of those names. Whereas confidentiality is of utmost importance, I would normally not ever disclose the name listed on an account but under these extraordinary circumstances, I will give you the name listed. Perhaps it's a daughter? Niece?" Mrs. Applewhite slid a small piece of notepaper over to her. Written up on it in impeccable penmanship was the name
"Becky Garver."


Kelleigh sat back against her chair, feeling completely deflated. She didn't know a Becky Garver. As she and Steve married right out of high school, she knew of any ex-girlfriends, friends, or relatives. This was not the name of any of them.


"So, let me understand. Although I am his wife and this is a community property state, I am unable to obtain these funds due to the listing of a next of kin?"


Mrs. Applewhite, to her credit, looked as if she would rather eat a spoonful of castor oil than answer her. "Unfortunately, Mrs.… ah, Kelleigh, that is correct. You will need to contact the Miss Garver with any further questions. The bank, as policy provides, will also notify her of the funds now that we are aware of your husband's passing."


"I can't believe this." Kelleigh muttered under her breath without realizing that she had done so.


In a gesture that Kelleigh would have never predicted, Mrs. Applewhite rose, walked around the desk and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure that this will all work out, dear. It's surely just a misunderstanding."


Kelleigh accepted the condolence, knowing that it was not a misunderstanding. "Thank you Mrs. Applewhite. I appreciate your help. I can contact you if I have any further questions?"


"Of course. Again, my condolences." She walked Kelleigh to the lobby. Kelleigh felt again as if every eye was upon her. Of course, she would be a hot topic today at the bank: the scorned wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment