Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chapter Twenty Six

"Now, what you got going on here?" He began to slowly examine the car, walking around the front to the side then continuing to the rear.

Kelleigh regained her speech. She could talk about the car in her sleep and began to tell him. "It's nearly done. I just need some advice on what to do next and who to trust to do the work."

"What are you wanting finished?"

"Well, Steve wanted it tubbed but I'm not sure. I'd rather have it more road-worthy. He wanted to get fiberglass bumpers for it and he wanted a pretty wild paintjob. I think that is all that's left of he wanted done. It was supposed to go to the chassis shop soon."

Eddie frowned for a moment before replying. "Now, whose car is this? Who is Steve? Is it not yours?"

Kelleigh inwardly groaned. She had assumed that the people at the track had filled him in but of course, they hadn't. They might have not even known, it had only been a few days since Steve's death. It felt like weeks to her, especially since today's revelation.
"Well, it's mine now. Steve was my husband and he was killed."

The mixture of emotions that played over Eddie's face was a confusing one. Surprise, pity, confusion and again - or was it always? - kindness. Pity was the least emotion that Kelleigh wanted to see.
"It's okay, Eddie. I thought they told you. I'm sorry that there was any confusion." She took a breath. Eddie continued to stand at the rear of the car, waiting for her to continue to explain. He leaned against the quarter panel and tried unsuccessfully to look casual.

"We weren't on good terms when he was killed. We're on even lesser terms now that he's dead." Without realizing it, tears welled in her eyes. It had been a long day and she found herself exhausted. "Now I'm finishing the car, not at all for him but for me. I want it done."

Eddie had somehow materialized before her during the last sentence. He made a gesture as if to comfort her then thought better of it and slid a hand into his jeans pocket. Quietly he asked, "Then what do you want? Not what he wanted. What do you want?"

Kelleigh sighed. It had been a while since someone had asked her that question. What did she want? She looked at the car and took a moment to think about it.
"I want it painted black, I don't care that it's high maintenance. I don't want it tubbed, and I don't want fiberglass bumpers. I want it to be quick but I want to drive it. I want a good stereo and seats that fit me." Her words trailed off.

Eddie grinned. "Okay then. Now we have a start. Let me make some calls tomorrow. Talk to some of my friends and I'll call you tomorrow with what I find out. Okay?"

"Okay." She nodded at him "Oh, wait. I'll be gone for most of the day. I have…well, I have the memorial for Steve and I have a test to take."

Eddie's eyebrows raised in surprise. "So, it hasn't been long then? Since he's died?"

Kelleigh sighed. She was tired, she was upset, and she was frustrated. "He was killed in a car accident on Thursday night. We'd had a fight. I was leaving him that night but he left me first, in a way." She thought she had caught a glimpse of a smile from Eddie but he continued to regard her with compassionate eyes.

"And this test? Is everything okay?"

Kelleigh laughed for what felt like the first time all day. "Oh, yes. Everything is fine. It's not that kind of test. Steve was supposed to take a test for his mechanic's certification. I asked if I could take it after he died."

Again, Eddie's brows raised in surprise. "You did? For him? Or for yourself?"

"I'm doing it for myself. I think I can pass it." She straightened her shoulders in defiance.

"I'm sure that you can. Well, I'll give you a call during the evening if you'd like then. Or would you like me to wait until the next day?"

Without thought, she replied, "Tomorrow will be fine. I should be home in the evening, all going well." She grimaced at her last statement. Apparently, it was her job to be a complete idiot in front of this man.

But Eddie only smiled. "Indeed, if all goes well, I'll phone you tomorrow evening. Good luck with, well, everything." He somewhat awkwardly patted her on the shoulder, turned, and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment